America's Muslim community is dynamic and growing. The National Muslim Democratic Council is an effort to bridge the gap between American Muslims and the Democratic party. We are committed Democrats and committed Muslims. As people of faith, we believe that it is our responsibility to work toward a more fair, just and equitable society. We believe that politics is not a dirty word, but instead a means of achieving progress. We are inspired by those spiritual progressives of the Catholic, Jewish and Evangelical communities who recognize that faith can play a positive and healthy role in our democratic republic. America is home to a diverse and vibrant Muslim community made up of immigrants and indigenous communities, many of whom believe strongly in the principles and priorities of the Democratic Party.
The mission of the National Muslim Democratic Council is to advance our shared values of equality, justice and mercy and to serve as a resource about the American Muslim community to civic, political and community leaders.
To accomplish its mission, the NMDC shall:
- Advance those policy perspectives and legislative initiatives of the Democratic Party that most resonate with our values.
- Serve as a trusted resource to Democratic candidates, elected officials, Party organizers and progressives about American Muslims and their diverse communities by conducting educational programs and providing reliable, accessible and timely information.
- Train and encourage American Muslims to serve the broader community and our country, especially through government service, elected public office and leadership within the Democratic Party.
- Work to maximize American Muslim support for Democratic candidates and policies.
- Collaborate with other faith-based and community leaders and groups to elevate the public discourse around faith in public life.
- Connect American Muslim Democratic activists, elected officials and organizations with each other to leverage our resources and build consensus on priorities.